Saturday, January 24, 2009

Slow Cooker Pot Pie

I love allrecipes.com. I love the fact you can find a recipe for anything and then see the comments by reviewers of the recipe and their little switch ups they incorporated into the recipe. Typically I don't make the recipe exactly per se, I usually end up tweaking it a bit for the liking of our family. Here is one that I used, as a good base recipe. Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings. I'll show below how I tweaked it up a bit because my husband is a huge pot pie fan [and I am not because of the calories].
INGREDIENTS
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

DIRECTIONS
Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
Now this is really cool, did you know you can put refrigerated biscuit dough in the crockpot? Well, I didn't and I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.
So to make it more like a pot pie, I added carrots and celery. Next time I'll add peas too, but I forgot at the time. After the chicken has cooked, shred it with two forks in the slow cooker. Then take 1 tube of biscuits and smoosh them down a bit. Completely cover the entire top of the chicken mixture and allow too cook about 45 min to 1 hour. You'll only need 1 tube of biscuits [i used pillsbury grand biscuits] and I even had one left over. About 1/2 hour into cooking, I put melted butter on the top of the biscuits with a brush, because you know I just had to add those calories for the fun of it. It was very good.

No comments: