Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fabulous Blueberry Tea Cake (or Muffins)



I get so excited when I see the fresh blueberries at the market. I love, love this blueberry tea cake. I think the recipe originated from my Aunt Barbara, but my mom has also made it forever it seems. I usually double the topping recipe because my husband loves that part. The recipe below is the original.

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
2 c. blueberries

Crumb Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter


Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar. Add egg and milk and beat until smooth. Carefully add blueberries. Spread batter in greased and floured 8" or 9" square pan or muffin tin. Make crumb topping by mixing dry ingredients and then cutting in cold butter to form crumbs. I usually cut the butter in very thin slices and then just mix with my hands, it's easier. Bake 350 for 40-50 minutes for cake and 15 minutes for muffins.

No comments: