Friday, February 27, 2009

Dogs and Cancer

It's been a sad week in our house. Our almost 13 year old Golden Retriever, Pockets, was diagnosed with lymphoma. We've been blessed to have this wonderful dog in our lives for so long. To see her decline, so rapidly, is heartbreaking. She had 7 puppies of her own and was such a good mother, it only came naturally for her to be the ever watchful eye when our own three human "puppies" came along and she was their protector. When they cried in the middle of the night, she'd be right there with me tending to their needs. Every now and then she would get a big lick in like she was cleaning them. And it was funny. Goldens are such a wonderful breed, so tolerant and laid back. She let all the kids climb all over her and snuggle up against her. Her looks to us said it all "I'll tolerate them only because I love them, but they are driving me crazy." At times, we knew exactly how she felt.

Because of her advanced age, we are not putting her through chemo. Trying to keep her comfortable and as happy as possible. Next week will be tough.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. One of the best dogs I had was a Golden Retriever. I loved that dog.