Monday, May 19, 2008

recipe Monday - it's yummy

Everyone loves a trifle, right? Well, I know I certainly do. Have a PTO meeting tonight and needed to make a dessert. This is one of my most favorite, easy all the way, all ages love it kind of desserts. Did I invent it, no. But I just threw it together one day about 3 years ago with ingredients I had on hand and it turned into a favorite. I've seen many variations of this yummy concoction from pound cake with whipped cream and fresh fruit, to chocolate cake, instant coffee and toffee pieces. Make it however you want. This is my simple favorite:


1 box brownie mix (the box that makes a 9x13 pan)
1 big box of instant choc. pudding (I think it's about 5.9 oz)
3 cups milk
16 oz. thawed cool whip (I use a lite variety)

Make brownies according to package in the 9x13 dish and bake. While baking whisk your big box of instant choc. pudding and 3 cups of milk. Let set up a bit, about 10 minutes. Fold in about 1/3 of the tub of cool whip, set aside. Once the brownies have cooled, cut into 1" cubes. Depending on the shape of your bowl, layer between 1/3 to 1/2 of the brownie cubes on the bottom of the dish/bowl. Layer half of the pudding mixture, layer about 1/3 of the remaining cool whip, and repeat. As the bowl gets bigger, you need to use more, so plan ahead. So it goes brownie, pudding, cool whip, brownie, pudding, cool whip. Smooth the last layer of cool whip on the top. You can sprinkle jimmies or shaved choc. on top, or leave it plain like I did. It just depends on my mood and for the age of the crew I'm making it for. It will be a hit for young and age. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How am I going to ever lose weight if I read your blog??? LOL - YUMMY stuff, keep 'em comin!